Have you ever checked the ingredients on your baby wipes? I hadn’t.
You’d think that baby wipes, made for baby’s, would be safe. I guess not! The Cosmetics Database gives you a complete list and a hazard rating of the different brands of wipes. Here’s one example:
Huggies Cucumber and Green Tea Baby Wipes
Ingredients: Water, Potassium Laureth Phosphate, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, DMDM Hydantoin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Malic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Fragrance
These wipes have a hazard rating of 7. These ingredients have been linked to cancer, immunotoxicity, allergies, developmental problems, reproductive toxicity, organ dysfunction, endocrine disruption and cellular changes.
That is terrible!!!
And that folks, brings us to homemade or DIY baby wipes!
I made up a batch of these in 5 minutes. Super easy!! Better for baby and inexpensive.
DIY BABY WIPES INGREDIENTS
- 1 roll of heavy duty paper towels (Must use Bounty for wipes. Cheap paper towels only work in the kitchen.)
- Container – I used a tupperware container (Old wipes containers, plastic shoe box containers, old plastic coffee containers or empty gallon plastic ice cream buckets also work. )
- 2 cups boiled water (or distilled)-cooled but still warm – (can just use regular water if you use them in less than a week like we do)
- 1 Tablespoon aloe vera– check the ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon of witch hazel
- 1 Tablespoon of castille soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s)
- 10 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract or 2 capsules of Vitamin E (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of Olive or Almond oil
- Young Living Essential Oils of choice (optional- I use 6 drops each of orange and lavender)
- For the month of February 2016, most premium starter kits are 10% off. Now is the time to get your kit. Young Living doesn’t off this sale very often.
How to Make DIY Natural Baby Wipes
- Cut the roll of paper towels in half using a sharp knife
- If using a plastic shoe box or old wipe container, accordion fold the wipes into the container. If using a Tupperware container or something like it , place the wipes, cut side down in container.
- In bowl or quart size jar mix the water, aloe, witch hazel, castille soap, GSE/Vitamin E and oil and stir.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Pour over paper towels in container and let absorb- this takes about 5 minutes.
- Flip the container over to make sure wipes are well soaked.
- You can pull the cardboard roll out from the inside. This should also pull the innermost wipe out and start them for you. Depending on the brand of paper towels you use, you might have to experiment with the amount of water.
- Use as you would regular wipes. And have peace of mind!
You could even take this a step further, save more. By using cloth instead of paper towels. Cut up old socks, receiving blankets, flannel or T-shirts.
Ready to whip up a batch? Maybe you already make your own… please tell me about it below!